Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Spareribs Asian Style


I bought this book called Fresh Chinese by Winnie Chan and I just love it. All of the recipes are easy and the dish turns out wonderful, guaranteed. She always has a few words of introduction to the recipe and offers some great ideas as to the history of the food or tips on making the dish.

(Click on the picture to go to Amazon to purchase your own copy!)

However, there's one recipe that I just could not figure out. She calls for the spareribs to cook at 475F for an hour and then an additional 45 minutes at 375F. I've ruined pans, scorched the meat and I finally gave up and took my own detour. I decided that she had an editing dilemma and it was too late when it was discovered.

I'll type the original recipe in italics, and my own variations in bold normal font. We don't disagree on too much, except for the cooking.

Note: Szechwan peppercorns are extremely difficult to find here in the United States. I recommend a organic grocery store, you might get lucky at an Asian grocery store. But if all else fails, you're welcome to use my secret weapon on Hard-to-Find Spices and Herbs:

Here's my own take on Spareribs:

2 lbs, country-cut boneless pork spareribs
2 1/2 pints stock (pork or chicken)

1 tsp five-spice powder 2 star anise (I don't bother)
1 Tbsp Szechwan peppercorns (coarsely ground)
1 Tbsp black peppercorns (coarse
ly ground)
2 large shallots, minced
1/4 C orange juice
1/4 C bourbon
1 heaped Tablespoon hoisin sauce

1 Tbsp shoyu or tamari sauce

6 slices fresh ginger (peeled and grated)

6 scallions (chopped)

2 Bay leaves (coarsely chopped)

1 orange (cut into wedges) (I use two oranges)

4 tsp cornstarch 4 Tbsp water

2 C rice (Cooked)

Setting the meat and the stock aside, mix all of the rest of the ingredients together. This should have the consistency of a thick cake batter. Place the meat in a Pyrex baking dish and pour the marinade over it. I have been known to make a double batch of the marinade just because I know how good it's going to taste when it's all be said and done.

Now the cookbook authors want you to put this on a cookie sheet and bake it for two hours: 1 hour @ 475F and forty-five minutes @ 375F. The remaining fifteen minutes is guaranteed to be spent scrapping all of that delicious marinade off your very expensive pork chops!

I'll guarantee it!

Here's my detour:

After twelve hours in the marinade, place them in a slow cooker or a crock-pot, marinade and all. Add the stock, cover and set the crock-pot on high for three hours. Turn the pot down to Low and add an additional two hours.

Once the meat has finished, take them out of the crock-pot and cover with a blanket of foil to rest for fifteen minutes. Take everything in the crock-pot and pour it in a saucepan. Remove the orange wedges and set them aside. Heat it until you get a rolling boil, turn the heat down for a nice simmer. Mix the cornstarch with the water to make your slurry, and slowly add to the marinade. Stir until it thickens.

Serve the meat over a bed of white rice and pour the marinade over the meat and use those orange wedges as your garnish. It's a beautiful dish.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment